Monday, June 2, 2008

pic dump

Here are 50 pics for you. I simply don't have time to edit these down to size, so they're going to appear full-size on the blog and wreak all sorts of havoc with the blog's layout, I'm sure.

My family with Mr. and Mrs. Higdon from church. L to R: Mom, Mrs. Higdon, Mr. Higdon, Dad, David, Sean, and The Bloat.


My friend Nathan:


Vancouver Int'l Airport exterior:


At the Pacific Inn Hotel in Vancouver, about a mile or so from the US/Can border:



The soda can tab that serves as my zipper handle ever since the real handle broke:


A view from the Pacific Inn window:


The pack is packed:


Pondering the upcoming walk:


Able to stand with full encumbrance:


The Pacific Inn's very pink exterior:


Walking toward the Peace Arch:


The key to Room 1 of the Anchor Inn Motel in Blaine, where I spent two nights with paper-thin walls and guys shouting "Fuck!" a lot next door:


My thumb on the BlackBerry's tiny keyboard:


What my blog looks like on the BlackBerry's screen:


Inside Hagen House, the old parsonage next to the Unitarian church. This is the building in which I spent two nights. Thanks, Nan and Tom!


Hagen House is used for UU education (kids' activities, etc.). A Russian Orthodox group also meets there. Here's a look at the bulletin board:




Note the kids' liturgy, which proceeds in a format recognizable to any mainstream Protestant:


The checklist for kids and adults alike:


Note the various wisdom references:


The kitchen tables that reminded me of a gigantic exclamation point:


The very nice gas heater that kept me warm at night:


In praise of the apple tree outside Hagen House:


I slept in this room one of my two nights at Hagen House. Note the kiddie kitchen:


Another shot of the same room:


Reverend Geer's office:


The jewel in the lotus?


Possibly related to the Russian Orthodox group...?


Another classroom:


The combination bathroom/laundry room:


I got scared when I saw this, because my mother had bought me a huge package of trail mix that included peanuts. Luckily, I kept my trail mix safely bagged and inside two other plastic bags.


Using the camera's timer function:


The so-so Chinese resto across the street from the motel and barely two or so blocks from the UU church:


Look closely at this sculpture...


Aha! And while I didn't shoot the other side, you'd see the faces of the salmon whose backsides you see here.


Blaine Marine Park, nearing sunset:











Sculpture on Peace Portal Drive:


One last remark: are you one of those people who mispronounces "library" as "lie berry"? If so, I have something to tell you: STOP THAT.

UPDATE: I've rotated photos and added captions, as you see. To see a complete photo, right-click and select "view picture." Most of the pics are cut off to fit the blog's text column width, which is why you see such weird centering.


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you think George W. Bush pronounces "library"?

Anonymous said...

Hagen House T REX, hatte! YEAH!