Monday, August 4, 2008

picnic

I started my walk fairly late today; got up about 8:30AM, took my time packing up my tent and backpack, typed out that entry about my cat, and lumbered out the door at 10:50AM. Walked twenty minutes to a spot near the Hood River marina, and sat down down for a picnic.

When I was at Wal-Mart two days ago, I had bought some cheap food along with that roll of super-absorbent towels; I figured that paying $30 for four or five meals was better than shelling out $20 for a single meal. I bought typical single-guy food: bologna, deli-sliced turkey, bread, mayo, cheese, pasta salad, cereal, milk, juice, chips, and snacks (local-brand danishes and Ho-ho clones; a dollar per box).

I blew through the juice, chips and pasta salad, and made decent progress on the bologna sandwiches, but by this morning I still had a half-loaf of bread, plenty of bologna, most of the cheese, and some leftover snacks. It seemed a shame to waste the remainder, so here I am, chowing down on sandwiches and snacks, fervently hoping I can make it to the Memaloose campground without needing to take another ignoble pit stop on the side of the freeway.

Though I'm enjoying the junk foodery, my only beverage is water, and I'm jonesing for a large can of Coke. I know where I can find one, but I think I'll save my money for later.

The walk to Memaloose is barely ten miles, so I can afford to take my time. It's a nice day today, good for relaxing. At the rate I go, ten miles is about four hours' walk, and hitting Memaloose in midafternoon isn't tragic. The weather ought to be good for the next day or so; my next stop will be The Dalles.

And onward we push. As always, if you know of religious institutions along my projected route that might take me in, please email Kevin's Walk Central:

kevinswalkcentral [at] gmail [dot] com


_

No comments: