Saturday, October 18, 2008

changes in plan, but still busy

Lots to do today. Mr. Jeong, the lead contractor for the parents' renovation project, has decided that the kitchen and the downstairs are, all of a sudden, the most urgent priority, so the massive clearing-out of the downstairs-- not the attic-- has commenced. I've already spent some time in the laundry room prepping a space in which we will be cramming the ceiling-high piles of boxes that are currently in my childhood bedroom, or "the Dungeon," as I came to call it. Most of what's in the Dungeon right now breaks down rather neatly into (1) Dad's stuff, and (2) my stuff. My possessions, mostly books, form an oddly shaped island that takes up the room's interior; Dad's sundries line the room's edges. It's hard to say who has more stuff, but I have a feeling that, with five-sixths of my books in those boxes (the rest are in Korea-- thanks, Joe and Sperwer), I win in terms of sheer weight.

After we clear out the Dungeon, we have to clear out the rest of the basement, which means moving all the furniture and knickknacks out of it. I suspect we won't really be done with this until sometime tomorrow night; Sean's concert is tomorrow, so we'll spend a few hours away from the dust to watch that, after which we'll continue heaving and ho-ing until Mr. Jeong has enough space to work his magic on the drywall, and on whatever else he needs to do on Monday.

Right now, it's break time. A bowl of spiced-up sujaebi, some pilfered Halloween chocolates, a can of Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi, and then it's back to the grind.


_

No comments: