Monday, March 23, 2009

other angles to explore

While I've actually got plenty more to say about BSG's cosmology and theology, my brain was effectively emptied after I wrote and tweaked that enormous essay. Out of morbid curiosity, I printed the essay out. It came to 11 single-spaced pages-- about the length of a 20-page research paper, all typed out in a day.

There are other angles I'd like to pursue in my examination of BSG's religious dimensions; the question of how the show handles religious pluralism definitely interests me, and an essay that offers multiple interpretations of the show from various religious points of view would also be interesting.

The original show apparently followed a fairly Mormon theological template; I think that Moore, in faking us out regarding Earth by showing us two Earths, managed a clever subversion of that paradigm. The addition of the theme of eternal recurrence (though, given what I wrote previously, the eternality of that recurrence is questionable) made the rebooted BSG a thing unto itself: its universe was substantially different from the universe inhabited by Lorne Greene and company.

For now, though, any essays on religious pluralism and comparative religious perspectives will have to wait. My brain needs time to recharge.


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My brain needs time to recharge."

Cylon?

Kevin Kim said...

Apparently, we are all Cylons.


Kevin