Saturday, May 17, 2008

thanks, Jelly!

In the comments to one post, friend and blogger Jelly provided the link to this site, A Journey for 9/11, which describes a New York-to-Los Angeles walk being done by former NY Giants star George Martin on behalf of the fire and rescue crews who worked at Ground Zero on 9/11. His goal is to raise at least 10 million dollars on behalf of the Ground Zero workers. It's a great cause.

I wonder if all this walking amounts to some sort of movement (if you'll pardon the inadvertent-- and lame-- pun). If only "a few hundred" people have walked across the United States since the country began, we must be seeing a real wave of long-distance walkers these days; they seem to be all over the news. I can't count myself as one of them until I actually start my own walk, of course, but I find the current teleambulatory phenomenon strange and exciting.

In a non-sexual way, of course.


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the first people across the land bridge continued walking all the way down to the bottom of modern day Argentina? Now that's a walk without today's 24 hour convenience stores, constant communication via cell phones, maps, gps, and modern roadways. They also had to chase down their food without the comfort of shoes and brave the elements as they went along to boot. I think I've actually de-evolved as I'm too soft to even attempt going a week without modern conveniences while under a sound roof.

Well, good luck and take care on the road.

John from Daejeon

Kevin Kim said...

John,

Thanks. I can't even imagine trying a long-distance walk without all the modern conveniences, but there are people out there who attempt such things routinely. They surpass me. While part of me is morbidly curious as to how long I'd last on such a trip, the rest of me knows the answer is, "Not very freakin' long."


Kevin