Saturday, June 28, 2008

milestones

So I've passed the 200-mile mark for this walk, and the 27th also marked the one-month "anniversary" of the start of the walk. I left Alexandria, VA on May 26, but started walking from White Rock, BC on the 27th.

If the Underwood's bathroom scale is to be trusted (and Dave smilingly hinted that it isn't), I may also have dropped below the 270-pound mark. The scale said I was 260-something, which puts me close to my (admittedly inauspicious) weight of 255, the weight I was when I started teaching at Sookmyung Women's University. I hope eventually to get down to my 1990 weight of 200 even, which is what I was when I came back from nearly a whole calendar year in Switzerland. After the walk is over, the question will be how to maintain that weight.

If I walk 200 miles per month and assume the walk across the country will be around 3000 miles (you'll recall that the shortest route is about 2500 miles and the southward-dipping long route would be about 4000 miles), I could finish the trek in fifteen months, which would be in time for my 40th birthday. Keep your fingers and tentacles crossed.


_

4 comments:

Malcolm Pollack said...

How about a little dogleg toward the end of the trip to finish up in New York? From there, you can quit walking, and hop a train home. We'll give you a most gracious welcome.

And of course, I'd be glad to discuss my own religious perspective, in a manner consistent with the goals of the Walk. (To a doubter like me, of course, it seems metaphorically apt that a long religious journey should end up face-to-face with unbelief.)

Kevin Kim said...

Malcolm,

Ending in NY (and touching-- ugh-- the waters of the Hudson Bay) is a distinct possibility.

As for unbelief, I've already met a few "I've had it with religion" types, but it's true that I haven't sat down to a discussion with them.

Kevin

Malcolm Pollack said...

I hate to have to point this out, Kevin, but Hudson Bay is an enormous astrobleme that divides northern Canada in two. The inlet to which you refer here is New York Harbor, which by the way is quite clean these days; in fact my co-worker Yaniv Sarig is taking part in the Governor's Island Swim as I write.

Kevin Kim said...

What was I thinking? I knew that. Too bad I didn't write what I knew.


Kevin