Saturday, June 28, 2008

with the Underwoods

Dave Underwood, a peppy, athletic guy, met me not far past the county line on his bike. He was trailing a large carrier into which he very kindly placed my backpack, thereby allowing me to walk unencumbered for the final four-point-something miles to his residence in Centralia.

Dave and his wife Ardeth are an interesting couple. Dave is a Christian (Episcopalian) while Ardeth, who has a background as a Unitarian, has entered a Sufi order, but has also engaged in Buddhist and Hindu practice.

I know next to nothing about Sufism, so it was fascinating to hear about her practice and the inner life that goes along with it: much emphasis is placed, for example, on the notion of inquiry, and if I understand correctly, inquiry is a major component in a very personal spiritual journey, one that takes place with the aid of a guide (guide, not master). Ardeth also mentioned a Sufi notion I had never heard before: "polishing the rust from the heart." (I hope I phrased that correctly.) The idea here seems to have some links with contemplative/introspective practices found in other traditions; the object is to examine the source of the "rust" that obscures one's spiritual heart, and eventually to return the heart to its original, pristine, polished state, one that allows it to be a perfect reflector for the divine light.

The man who brought Sufism to America (didn't catch the name, alas) seems to have been a convergent pluralist insofar as he saw the great religious traditions as having the same fundamental focus. Would he have agreed with John Hick that that focus is "the turn from self-centeredness to Reality-centeredness"? I don't know.

I was very impressed by Dave's offer to carry my bag the final few miles. He and Ardeth also prepared a lovely vegan dinner of spaghetti and salad, with rhubarb for dessert (glutton that I am, I had seconds).

Conversation lasted long after dinnertime as both spouses shared stories about their personal lives and work, their insights about Washington State and small-town life, and their wisdom about what I can expect next, depending on where I go.

And speaking of where I'm going, it's past time for me to check on what's happening next in my travels. Alan has once again lined things up superlatively and has noted that I've received more CouchSurfing offers down the line.

So off I go.

_

No comments: