Monday, September 29, 2008

"The History of My Pants"

I found my jeans from spring of this year-- the ones I'd bought in Itaewon, the ones that fit me just fine back then.

Well, four months and forty pounds later, I and my jeans are no longer as close as we used to be. The denim is now like barbecued meat that just falls off the bone; as a result, I spent most of Monday evening trying to prevent their gravity-assisted escape.

Our family decided to have dinner at the local Chili's; my current clothes needed a wash, so I went looking for my pre-Walk shirts and pants, which is how I happened upon my jeans. My parents had already left for the restaurant and I was hurrying to catch up with them, so it was with some frustration that I realized I didn't have a proper belt for the now-baggy jeans.

Like the Marines, then, I had to improvise, adapt, and overcome. My jury-rigged solution: four plastic shopping bags, square-knotted end to end and fed through my belt loops.

Hey, it worked.

A pre-dinner weigh-in showed my current weight as 258 pounds; I've got another 58 pounds to go before I'm down to my 1989 weight of 200 pounds. Is this doable by the end of the walk? My brother Sean seems to think I should try to hit 200 by the end of next February, i.e., before I start again from Walla Walla.

Es possible. I might just take Sean up on the challenge.


_

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for it. Take Sean's challenge. What have you got to lose, right?

Kevin Kim said...

Just weight, I guess.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Kevin, told my husband last night about you and the belt solution...we laughed for 15 minutes straight...my side started to hurt!!!

Max said...

Dropping some weight will make the walk a helluvalot easier on those jankey knees you've got!

Kevin Kim said...

Max,

Indeed. Now get your lazy ass back to blogging so I can hector you on your site.


Kevin