Friday, October 3, 2008

possible work!

I confess I put up a rather grumpily-toned ad on Craigslist, advertising my services as a French tutor (look for "Apprenez le français!/Learn French!" in the "northern Virginia/Washington, DC" section), and am happy to report that I may already have two students-- possibly as many as five. I chose to write the ad in that tone because years of experience have taught me that wishy-washy people will sign up for something, only to bail out soon after. Not only is this annoying (and a depressing statement about humanity), but it's also bad when you're trying to calculate your budget. So: it's better to scare off the easily scared. The people who remain will probably be more dedicated learners.

We'll see how this goes. The gentleman who responded to the ad was very nice; he and his wife are interested in learning French (for privacy reasons, I won't go into details as to why), and they may be able to round up three more friends as well.


_

No comments: