Friday, September 5, 2008

hospital

Just to allay the fears of the people who've written me privately over the past few days: yes, I'm visiting the hospital today. Walla Walla General is located on 2nd Avenue, about a mile or so from where I am. I'm about to shower, shave, and limp on down that way.

I imagine that today's visit will be about scheduling an appointment and determining costs and payment options for someone in my situation; the actual MRI will probably occur on another day (though I'm open to pleasant surprises).

I'm as morbidly curious as everyone else is about what's really happening inside my knee. Here's hoping that the situation isn't too serious.

It's strange... I hadn't really thought of it this way before, but I've been living with some degree of pain since at least Portland, limping for the better part of two hundred miles. I was also struck last night by the thought that the knee problem might not have anything to do with that fall almost three months ago. I'd like to think that that's not true, but to be honest, I really don't know for certain that there's a connection. If the knee problem is the result of some pervasive problem (like being overweight, out of shape, and carrying a heavy pack) as opposed to being the result of a single incident, this could have serious implications for how I continue the walk.

Dad just wrote me and wondered aloud about whether I might simply winter here in Walla Walla. My gut feeling is that it's way too early to think about stopping just yet, though I recognize that it all depends on how serious the knee problem is. I'd rather get the knee looked at and patched up, then continue as far along I-84 as I can before stopping and wintering somewhere.

Much to ponder, but right now it's time to de-smellify. I'll tell you what the hospital says once I'm out.


_

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, it is Adam from the hotel...I told a bunch of my friends about your journey and showed them your blog.
We are a bunch of RPG nerds and they were all tickled with the prospect of a "real life adventurer" being in our midst... If you want to come have a BBQ and fire with us, you are welcome any time... it will at least give you something to do and the opportunity to meet new people while your knee heals up a bit. Give me a call sometime if you would love to join us and meet some good people. (509)200-6766.
~Adam

desertchick said...

Kevin: Glad to hear you're getting your knee checked out....finally.;)

Adam: Right On! It's nice to see other people noticing that Kevin is a "real life adventurer".

Anonymous said...

'Real life adventurer' - Can't you just get a horse or crutches, since that will still technically be walking??
Zoe

Kevin Kim said...

Zoe,

Long time no talk!

I'm afraid that Adam's friends might be expecting Indiana Jones, and instead they're going to get Jabba the Hutt!


Kevin

Kevin Kim said...

Adam,

Many thanks for the invite! What day/time were you thinking of doing this?


Kevin