Monday, August 11, 2008

in Biggs

I'm in the town of Biggs after a walk of seven or eight miles yesterday; am staying at the very cheap Biggs Motel, which offers a decent-sized room for only $40 a night. I'll be here until Wednesday morning, when it's possible I'll be meeting my walking partner for that day.

The next town over is Rufus, only about six miles from Biggs. Rufus doesn't seem to have any motels, and I'm about to hit a very long stretch where I'll most likely be camping beside the freeway, preferably out of sight of eastbound traffic and away from any residences.

Biggs is a very small town catering mostly to people who are just passing through. It's got a McDonald's, a Subway, a couple diner-style restaurants, a shop or two, lots of trucks, and not many actual houses. It's also got what appears to be the world's smallest church: I'll be taking a picture of it shortly.

The lady who runs the Biggs Motel very kindly offered to dry my laundry after I'd hand-washed it and strung it up on a trekking pole. While the hotel itself is rather humble, I'd recommend this place to anyone in the region who needs a cheap place to stop for a night or three. As I mentioned, it's $40 a night, in cash (no credit cards accepted), and that's after tax.

So while I'm in Biggs and preparing to leap into the unknown, I need to stock up on supplies for the next few dozen miles. I'm not looking forward to the extra weight in my backpack, which recently gained weight thanks to the extra water I now carry. Keep those fingers and tentacles crossed for me.


_

2 comments:

melancholy donut said...

tentacles crossed http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2163156

Anonymous said...

Be careful if The Biggs Hotel has a desk clerk named Norman.

Looks like there is a truck stop near there. Truck stops are always a good source of rib-sticking-chow.

I recommend the pound of meat loaf, mound of mashed potatoes, with peas smotherd in powdered brown gravy. That should carry you to Rufus. But take the left over roll of wipe at The Biggs just in case.

Truck on!
-Curtis S.