Tuesday, October 14, 2008

calm weather, weird schedule

I have two more possible prospects for French tutoring, which is good because the first lead fell through, as I found out this morning.* I'll be following up those leads as well as plunking my resume onto Monster.com to see what I can find in terms of "normal" work. Office jobs are what will save me, I suspect; the work is steady and not subject to sudden schedule changes. If, however, I am able to gather enough tutorees, I might not have to take this route.

I'm also thinking of doing a Craigslist ad offering my services as an actor (I put an ad up last night for graphic design). It might not pay all that well, but I don't have to worry about rent or food, so I can pretty much save whatever I earn.

In other news, I wrote my old prof, the fabled Dr. Jones, about on-campus work; he didn't know of any leads, but did say there was a 2PM lecture today by a visiting Fulbright scholar named Ghassan Manasra, who will be talking about his life as a Muslim cleric in Israel (Nazareth). While at GU yesterday, I saw a poster for a keynote lecture happening tomorrow re: the future of political theologies, which also sounds quite interesting. One of the speakers will be Dr. Mark Lilla, who wrote this NYT article (thanks, Steve) on political theologies. The event continues on Thursday, but I might not be able to make the panel discussions that day.

All of which is to say that the schedule is full. As always, keep them fingers and tentacles crossed.





*Those folks strike me as very friendly, though, and because they're Jewish, I've asked whether they'd be interested in meeting so we can talk about interreligious issues. I think I've missed hundreds of opportunities, during this walk, to limp up to a synagogue and knock on its door. Walla Walla has at least one synagogue; I walked past Beth Israel about fifty times during my month in that town. Ah, regret. When I go back to Walla Walla next spring, that synagogue will be among the first places I visit.


_

1 comment:

Max said...

Visit a temp agency or two. I think I went to "Office Pros" when I was out of college and needing some work. If you've got computer skills they'll put you in a position that actually pays decently. On the other hand, the location that you're placed at might notice that you're smart (I'm assuming here) and give you work that could actually be fun.

I worked in a construction office for several months. The pay was alright, but once they had me marking revisions to blueprints it became a helluva lot more interesting.