Thursday, December 11, 2008

a warm-up post

One version of the many-worlds hypothesis says that, every time a sentient being makes one of several possible choices, a new universe is generated in which that choice is lived out. The other "unchosen" possibilities, meanwhile, are instantiated in different universes. Being itself is therefore a froth of worlds.

Either today or tomorrow, I hope to write that promised post about the metaphysics of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials realm, in which worlds are constantly appearing. In the meantime, I'd love to read your comments on the above version of the many-worlds hypothesis, or on the general question of whether other, parallel universes exist.


_

1 comment:

Malcolm Pollack said...

Hi Kevin,

Nobody's commenting!

I'd get the ball rolling, as there are a few things I'd like to say, but I've just been driving for the past five hours, and it's one-thirty in the morning.

Not much of a comment, I know, but the best so far, at least.