Sunday, March 8, 2009

making use of Facebook for the rest of the walk

Longtime readers of this blog are well aware of my hatred of and derision for Facebook. I did, however, sign up for the service and have decided, finally, to make it work for me.

I've been quietly plotting my route out of Walla Walla and across the country, using a "group" I created on Facebook as a place to leave route-related topics. Specifically, what I've done is to create topics that cover each day of the journey, and my hope is that people will post replies to those topics, offering help in the form of suggestions or actual aid: a chase car, a place to stay, etc.

The object of the game is to avoid expenses in all the areas that killed me over the first 600 miles: paying for campsites, paying for motels, and paying for food. While I doubt I'll be able to emulate Hakim's feat (of course, I don't really know the details of his journey, so I don't know whether he really did the whole thing on 200-plus dollars), I hope to get by with a minimum of expenditures.

As always, you can help out either by sending me a donation, or by buying products from my CafePress shop (all links are on the sidebar). You can also join my Facebook group, "Kevin's Walk," and start reacting to what you see there. In fact, I'm hoping you will join that group, as it shows my itinerary.


_

1 comment:

Sean said...

What about using twitter?