Wednesday, April 1, 2009

the death of another series

I used to be a huge fan of "ER" back in the George Clooney/Anthony Edwards era, but I lost interest in the show once most of the principals had left ("ER" guest star Omar Epps is now a regular on the doctor dramedy "House"). "ER" was a great combination of simple and gritty-- "a soap opera with a brain," as one of my friends described it. As with any long-running series, part of its charm lay in its formula, which always involved random emergencies to spice things up.

In its earlier days, the NBC series also benefitted from positive comparisons with the clunky CBS drama "Chicago Hope," which I couldn't stand, despite a very likable cast that included actors I really enjoy, such as Christine Lahti, Adam Arkin, and Hector Elizondo. I don't blame the actors for "Chicago Hope's" hopelessness; I blame the executive decision to make the show focus so much on boardroom goings-on and other petty squabbles. It was a standard joke, in the late 90s, that a patient who went to "ER's" ER would be saved within minutes, whereas the same patient, if brought into "Chicago Hope's" hospital, would die in the waiting room while the staff bickered endlessly. That, ultimately, is what saved "ER" for so long: the notion that hospital staffers, like soldiers, are in the trenches together, and personal differences are secondary to saving lives. This esprit de corps was always part of the "ER" formula, and was hard to beat as an uplifting message to the viewership. The series has featured plenty of power struggles and personality conflicts, but the moment the paramedics would burst through that door and that suspenseful music started chugging away, everyone would drop everything and get to work. I think "ER" also benefitted from the influence of its creator, the late Michael Crichton, whereas "Chicago Hope" was the brainchild of screenwriting overachiever David E. Kelley, who should have stuck to his many legal dramas and comedies.

I probably won't be watching "ER's" finale tomorrow, mainly because I'm years behind and don't know (or care about) the current cast. But I thoroughly enjoyed "ER" back during the days when I was a regular viewer, and I'm sad to hear that it's finishing up. Did you ever see "ER's" pilot episode? It's held up well over time, and is one of the best pilots I've seen.* I hope "ER" goes out as bravely as it came in.





*"Star Trek: The Next Generation's" pilot was, by contrast, awful. Not because of Q, who was a great antagonist (I can't call John Delancie's character an outright villain), but because of the sappy way that first episode ended, with jellyfish lovingly clasping tentacles, and a dewy-eyed Counselor Troi narrating the event. Ick. I did, however, think that ST:TNG ended well: the series finale featured Q again, but dared to dive into the realm of truly imaginative science fiction by creating a drama around the notion of "anti-time," a temporal analogue to antimatter. That episode, for me, got better over time.


_

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've watched "e.r." since its inception, but these last few episodes have been a slap in the face to those of us who've stuck around through thick and thin as the current cast gets shoved aside for the numerous cameos of doctors long gone. It's just too bad that the genius behind the series, and good many great books, isn't around to witness the death of his creation. R.I.P. Michael Crichton

Oh, as far as great pilots are concerned, "Chicago Hope"'s was one of the best. It's just too bad that the show quickly bogged down. David E. Kelley has made some great pilots, one of the best is "Picket Fences," a family/legal/medical drama that had one of the most diverse casts ever assembled on television (Tom Skerritt, Holly Marie Combs, Lauren Holly, Kathy Baker, Fyvush Finkel, Zelda Rubinstein, Ray Walston, and Don Cheadle were just a few.)

John from Daejeon

Kevin Kim said...

I never saw the pilot for "Chicago Hope," but I'm open to the idea that it was good. Some series seem to start well and peter out, while others improve over time. I don't know what trajectory "ER" ultimately followed, but I recall that it had some truly fantastic episodes. Whenever I caught part of an episode of "Chicago Hope," I always found Hector Elizondo's character to be the most compelling dude on screen. He rocked.

I've heard many good things about "Picket Fences," but never saw a single episode.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

You can find the "Chicago Hope" pilot on Hulu or AOL video.

It is worth a 45 minute viewing, but remember that medicine has advanced greatly in the last 15 years.

I remember that one story-line spoke directly to me because it dealt with an older surgeon (mentor) not knowing when it was time to give up the knife before he killed more than he saved. My father was going through a similar ordeal in giving up his life's work.

John from Daejeon