Sunday, May 31, 2009

there and back again

My brother David and I took a trip by ourselves out to Skyline Drive while Dad stayed home with Mom. Mom was visited by one of her oldest and dearest friends from the 1970s today, and also received a care package of food from another close friend.

When David and I got back to the house, it was close to 10PM. Dad walked me through the IV antibiotic procedure, which turned out to be fairly easy, thank goodness. I'd been having nightmare visions of shooting air bubbles into Mom's heart or doing something equally terrible to her, but the procedure basically consisted of swab this, unscrew that, check for air bubbles, insert this, inject slowly, etc. So simple that even an idiot like me can do it.

When midnight rolls around, I'll be removing the antibiotic bulb and flushing Mom's line with saline followed by heparin. And that, folks, will end the day.


_

No comments: