Sunday, November 22, 2009

yard work

The leaves continue to fall. We have one tree in particular that is especially obnoxious on this point: it seems to have an infinite supply of leaves, which it drops on both our yard and the next-door neighbor's yard at a pace designed to madden us. Sweep away all the leaves one day, and the cleared area is covered the next day. Look up at the tree, and the number of leaves seems unchanged. It's like a grim version of the miracle of feeding the five thousand.

But that tree, which sits by the side fence and hangs over our wheelchair ramp, won't be the focus of my yard work today; I dealt with it last week. No: today, I'll be mopping up the front yard, which is no longer as leaf-covered as it had been. The maple out front is about done with dusting us, so today's session might be the last, or next-to-last, leaf collection for the front of the house until next fall. Still, wish me luck. This might take a while.


_

3 comments:

Charles said...

I've almost forgotten what it's like to rake leaves...

Kevin Kim said...

No raking today: I used the lawn mower as a vacuum cleaner. Later on, I might rake some of the hard-to-reach spots. Might.

Charles said...

Huh. I don't think we ever did that. It was always a rake. No mower, no blower, just a bit of elbow grease.