Tuesday, May 27, 2008

things I learned today

I learned a few things today. Here are a few insights.

1. Use common sense when figuring out the proper sequence for putting on your gear! If, for example, you've got both a belt pouch and a backpack to put on, which goes on first? Duh-- the belt pouch. Obvious to most of you, but not obvious to this caveman. Try doing it the wrong way and see what happens. If you put that huge backpack on first, you'll find it's nearly impossible to loop the belt pouch's belt around yourself, because your waist is now twice its original circumference. In life, common sense often boils down to logic. Nature is eminently logical.

2. When you're hauling about 50 pounds, it's slow going, even when the ground is fairly level.

3. Blaine's a nice little town, and it's the people who make it that way. I've spoken with Reverend Geer (not "Greer," as I kept saying on the phone-- sorry, ma'am) of the Blaine Free Unitarian Church, and she seems very friendly. One self-described "local yokel," whom I met in a Chinese restaurant, vouched for Rev. Geer: "She's a really good person," this lady said. I also met the church's sexton (groundskeeper and all-around handyman), a gent named Tom, and had a long, pleasant conversation with him. Also of note is the owner of the Coast to Coast hardware store, who was very helpful when I lumbered into his domain. Lastly, people on the street say "hi."

4. Slap sunscreen on yourself more than once, at least until you buy that sombrero.


5. Watch your expenses! While I've spent only about $13 on food this entire day, the goal is to try to spend ZERO. Blaine's main drag is a gallery of inviting restaurants, all of them singing their siren songs directly at my wallet, which yelps for release like poor Odysseus lashed to his mast and avid to jump overboard.

More posting shortly.


_

1 comment:

Joel said...

I suspect you'll learn a lot more in the days to come. The most I have ever done was a 50-miler back in high school. I can't imagine doing something this long. I hope it turns out well for you. I will be monitoring your progress from Korea, or wherever I may end up in the future. Good luck!