Monday, July 7, 2008

brace yourself

I elected to stay an extra night at my current hotel, which has done my sore muscles and blisters some good. My right knee, however, feels as though it might need a bit more time to heal. Unfortunately, I'm leaving the hotel tomorrow morning, so today, I'm going to test out one of the knee braces my dad had the foresight to pack in my first aid kit. Hope it helps. I've never worn a brace before; ought to be interesting.

UPDATE: Did I mention that I may have bruised a rib when I fell? While I don't normally lie on my front when sleeping, I do like to do so when reading, and it was while trying to position myself on my bed to read news on the BlackBerry that I felt a strange pain right around the rib cage/diaphragm area. At first, I thought it was a cramp or something muscular, but I've become increasingly convinced that the pain is bone-related. I couldn't imagine how I might have done such a thing to myself, but then I began to suspect my sternum strap, which must have tightened-- yanked, more like-- against my chest. The day I fell, my knee buckled and I sat down hard before rolling backward thanks to the weight of my pack; I know I didn't fall on my chest, and I haven't suffered any impacts to the chest to speak of. So the cause of my bruise has to be related to my fall somehow. I didn't even notice the problem until that first attempt to lie on my stomach, so I'm pretty sure nothing's broken.


_