Saturday, July 12, 2008

transcription and other prep

It occurs to me that the next leg of my trip isn't going to allow me much time to do any major projects, like transcription of my audio recordings, so I'm seriously considering hanging in Portland until those projects are done, perhaps even looking into some way to earn money (there've been no contributions for a while, and only a few sales off CafePress) before I truly find myself in a hole. That would suck: to find myself penniless with winter on the way. Ick.

Along with transcription, I need to comb over Alan's itinerary and start generating maps, making calls, and doing whatever else I can to prepare for a trip that, as Alan said in his email, will leave little margin for error. Shipping unnecessary items home, then filling that empty backpack volume with food and water, will be a high priority in the next few days. I might need to hit REI again for food and-- since I forgot it this time around-- a cloth hat to protect my head and neck from the sun.

Did I mention how badly my ears are peeling? No? Maybe that's because I hadn't noticed the damage to my skin until just a couple days ago, when I was moved to scratch an earlobe. I scratched... and was startled when it felt as though a tiny dead insect had come off in my fingers. Given the stinging sensation that followed, I actually assumed it was an insect-- that is, until I looked in a mirror. No: what had come off was a huge mass of peeling skin and dried lymph, a horrible, chitinous crust that felt like a small cicada. Nasty. I felt my left ear and noticed almost the same problem, though not quite as bad.

So, yes: getting a hat is a high priority.

Such are my plans. But enough about me-- what're you up to these days?


_

5 comments:

Elisson said...

Mmmmm...lymph.

How long will it take for you to get to the Southeast? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Anonymous said...

Did you read "Speaking of Silence" edited transcripts of interfaith dialogues in Snowmass, Colorado circa 1980 - 1986 (not sure of dates).

Alan

Kevin Kim said...

Elisson,

Not sure whether I'll actually be making it down to Jawjuh, but we'll know more in about a year!

Alan,

No, I haven't read those transcripts. They sound interesting.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Notes:

-- We now appear to have two different Alans posting comments. No complaints, since The Other Alan also spells his name correctly. Henceforth, we here at Kevin's Walk Central will include our sur-initial in our name, as in this post.

-- Alan C. at KWC is himself a native of Atlanta, and is not inclined to look favorably upon derogatory parodies of the accent of his native region.

:>)

Kevin Kim said...

Alan C,

I guess that means I'll just have to do MORE of it.


Kevin