Wednesday, July 30, 2008

crossings and transitions

While at the library today, I overheard a conversation between a dude at another computer and a teenaged girl who was amazed to discover that the guy was on a transcontinental walk. In his case, he's walking from Mexico to Canada ("sure beats having a summer job") along the Pacific Crest trail. No fireworks, no fanfare-- just walking. He ditched his tent somewhere along the way: "too heavy." Now he's down to a sleeping bag and little else. Gotta respect that. Hiking the trail must be tough.

As I was leaving, I shook the guy's hand and told him I was on my own walk. His name's Jordan, a name that evokes crossings and personal transitions (e.g., baptism in the Jordan). Happy trails, man. Walk well; stay safe.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTW, the crossing at the Bridge of the Gods is the lowest point (in terms elevation above sea level) of the entire Pacific Crest Trail.

(The things one learns while poring over maps!)