Sunday, July 27, 2008

the route east

I've had several invitations to stay with various friends and acquaintances. The following picture is pretty sketchy and is, as always, open to revision, but perhaps if I try to lock these points down, it'll be easier for readers to help us connect the dots (as always, I ask you to click on the "How Can I Help?" link on the sidebar).

What I have so far:

1. An invitation to stay with a college buddy and his family in South Dakota (Paul).

2. Two invitations from people in Illinois (HK and S. Honeywell).

3. One invitation to stay at a location in Indiana (Terry Douglas's relatives, right, Terry?).

4. One invitation to finish the journey in New York City (Malcolm).

I've received other very kind invitations, but they were, for the most part, from regions too far south of the route I was leaning toward; I'd prefer to hang north because I know the heat will kill me. I may also have received other invitations along the general path described above (I'll need to get back to you with cities); if I've neglected to mention you, please remind me of your invitation.

So: from the Pacific Northwest, I'm thinking of connecting the dots across South Dakota, Illinois, Indiana, and New York. That leaves a lot of gaps to be filled in, with a good bit of zigzagging possible based on weather, terrain, and human factors. Contact Kevin's Walk Central if you have suggestions.

In the meantime, here's Alan Cook's itinerary for me; it's designed to take me along the WA/OR border and into Lewiston, Idaho.

1. Cascade Locks to Hood River. (17 mi)

2. Hood River to The Dalles. (26 mi); I might stay here a couple days to visit with Alix-Gay's father and see the Dalles Dam.

3. The Dalles to Biggs, or to a campground at Maryhill State Park, WA (18-19 mi)

4. Biggs to a point halfway to Arlington: Chamberlin-Goodnoe Road (16.5 mi)

5. CG Road to Roosevelt, WA (19.5 mi)

6. Roosevelt to Crow Butte Park (20.5 mi)

7. Crow Butte Park to Paterson (12 mi)

8. Paterson, WA to Umatilla, OR (14.5 mi)

9. Umatilla to Hat Rock Campground (8 mi)

10. Hat Rock to Pierce's Green Valley Campground (approx. 19 mi)

11. Green Valley to Touchet (12 mi) or Lowden (17 mi)

12. Touchet or Lowden to Walla Walla (17.5 or 12.5 mi)

13. Walla Walla to Waitsburg (20 mi)

14. Waitsburg to Dayton (9.5 mi)

15. Dayton to Last Resort KOA Campground (approx. 17 mi)

16. LR KOA Campground to Pomeroy, WA (16 mi)

17. Pomeroy to Chief Timothy Park (22 mi)

18. Chief Timothy Park to Lewiston, ID (approx 10 mi)

If you've got remarks or suggestions about the route, please write Kevin's Walk Central:

kevinswalkcentral [at] gmail [dot] com

I hope this starts to clear things up. By the way, I might stop a while in Walla Walla and see about earning some cash. Does anyone need a French tutor/instructor, or someone to teach basic Korean? How about an informal course on major world religions? I'm also pretty good at moving boxes around (though not with a forklift), and would LOVE to earn money splitting wood (axe, not wedge; I'm no good with a sledge-and-wedge). I've got other skills, too, though my days as a gigolo are long gone.

Stay in touch.


_

2 comments:

jeanie oliver said...

Oh, gigilo,
too bad you aren't swinging south but I'm enjoying your book and the blog. What happened to your hand?
Jeanie
and I noticed that H. Jeff-er-y Hodges is mentioned in the opening of your book. You keep or kept good company!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, afternoon, or evening, Kevin.

Yes, I'm sure I can arrange something for you in Indiana. My sister lives on the northeast side of Indianapolis. My mother lives in the town/suburb of Shelbyville 20 miles southeast of Indianapolis. I'll talk with them about you and your journey in the near future. Also, I got your email a few weeks ago (Cheers! ^.^) and I am going to write you more in depth very soon.

Take care for now, Kevin, and
Happy Trails.