Thursday, June 5, 2008

another night in Bellingham

Bellingham is a nice town, so I don't mind spending another night here. But where to stay? Alan's been going nuts throwing possibilities at me. He created a profile for me on Couchsurfing.com, and has found some interesting potential crash sites in town (I might just try the hookah bar he found! that's hookah, not hooker). I need to call or email some of these folks right away and find out what's up. (Actually, I've contacted two places already-- got a "no" from one and haven't heard back from the other.)

Alan has (along with other people who have offered their thoughts) persuaded me to think bigger-- and more specifically-- about what my route across the country will be. I know some of my readers are interested in knowing this, too, so they can provide info on possible sites to visit or possible rest stops.* I don't have the plan locked down by any means, but right now, I think I'll be following Alan's (and Tom Dorsey's) suggestion about following the Columbia River eastward. The river flows along the Washington/Oregon border.

Alan also suggested Salt Lake City as a religiously significant stopping point, and I'd agree. SLC lies smack against the western side of the Rockies; it marks either the end of a comparatively easy route (well, easy for those who are in shape) and the beginning of the arduous route. I'll be happy to reach Denver alive. I've also decided to keep heading toward Seattle.** There are doubtless plenty of people to visit and talk with about religion there.

Note to Nathan: you were right. Having a support team (right now, a team of one, but I hope that'll change soon, because poor Alan's been busy all day with me) is probably the way to go, at least for now. I do still hope the walk eventually becomes self-planning, but that transformation may be tied as much to the publicity this walk gets as to anything else.

So a very likely route across the US will have me hit Seattle, work my way down to the WA/OR border, follow the Columbia eastward as best I can, plow through Idaho and into Utah, eventually reaching Salt Lake City before confronting the challenge of the Rockies (good Lord, what season will it be when I get there?). I hope to be somewhat thinner and to have slightly more muscular legs by that point.





*Please be sure to email your suggestions to "kevinswalkcentral [at] gmail [dot] com."

**Help Alan by offering suggestions as to possible crash sites! Email Kevin's Walk Central with your thoughts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay north young man. You are about to enter territory with well more than 3 days hiking between towns. SLC is not an option unless you have someone supporting you with an RV full of supplies. Utah has very hot deserts too.Welcome to the Wild West.

Stay Cool!