Tuesday, February 17, 2009

what day is it?

Starting sometime yesterday, the BK office sent me a blizzard of work to do; I ended up pulling an all-nighter, which left me insensate by morning. While I'm happy to receive so much work (given how little my net pay is, after taxes and bank transfer fees, I need all the work I can get), yesterday's barrage was positively debilitating.

Ah, proofreading. It's worse when you're dealing with a long document written in poor English. Sometimes it's hard to know which cuts of the scalpel will salvage the bloody mess in front of you, which stitches can be tightened without pulling another part of the wound asunder. A correction in one spot of the paragraph might end up changing the intended meaning of the entire paragraph. If that happens, is it possible to preserve the change you've made while also making some new changes elsewhere? Or will you, in so doing, wreck the conceptual structure and be forced to start anew with the original bloody mess?

None of the little linguistic disasters proved impossible to surmount last night and this morning. Two of the seven documents I proofed were, truth be told, excellently written. But the remaining five documents were fairly mangled when they rolled into the ER; even the shorter docs were slow going. I hope the end result is pleasing to the powers that be; it's my understanding that BK does a re-review, after the proofreader has done his work, before finalizing any given article.

Here's hoping they don't dump such a load on me tonight. My contact kept apologizing, in her emails, for the workload, but it was apparently an emergency, hence the inundation.

BK has been mailing me copies of their magazine. I flipped through the January edition and recognized dozens of articles that I'd proofed. February is going to be pretty much an all-Kevin show at this rate. We'll see.

I'm about to eat a late lunch. The Verizon cable/DVR box is on the fritz for some reason; the power won't go on. As a result, I'm yanking out a Korean DVD to watch: "Lady Vengeance," which I've never seen before. I hope your day's going well; mine's been something of a daze, and I'm not sure I like feeling so out-of-rhythm.


_

No comments: