Monday, December 28, 2009

not looking good

Mom was totally unresponsive while I was there. I noted with a pang that Mom's tear ducts had puffed out to the point that they were preventing her eyes from completely closing. We just learned that this is because of the amount of fluid the doctors have had to pump into her-- not because of irritation resulting from dryness, as I had thought.

Tears come routinely now, every time I sit next to Mom. I gently rub her stomach; I hold her hand; I caress her forearm or her face, and the tears come. "Don't mind me," I told my young cousins. "I'm leaky all the time these days."

We had to leave at 6PM so the nurses could give Mom a wash. We'll be back to see her again later tonight.

On the hospice front, things aren't looking good. Medicare apparently covers very little in our situation, and arranging for care on the fly isn't easy, as Dad is discovering. We'll keep plugging away at it, though. Our thanks to both our pastors for their advice in this area.


_

1 comment:

J said...

Kevin,

Having just run the home health - hospice - medical care Mafia gauntlet myself, and having worked in both fields, I am at your service for any help you need. I am more than happy to make calls for you or help you get orders and coverage for care in any way I can. Just let me know what I can do. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Hit me at impqueen@zenbe.com if you want to talk on the phone or via email.