Sunday, June 15, 2008

further thanks to Paul

Paul set me up with a sweet deal today: he found a set of bike paths that might cut a mile or more off my walk. So today, I'll be following the Green River and Interurban trails southward; the Interurban goes right up to Kent.

"It'll be an easy walk," Paul assured me. Fine by me; I'm all about easy.

By the way, Paul, I stole a can of Coke from your fridge last night and regret not having taken a pic of you and Ginger this morning. Please give Indiana the dawg an extra scratch for me.

ADDENDUM: Paul also taught me the expression "hapa," which refers to those of mixed race. The term is apparently common in this area; if I remember correctly, Paul said "hapa" was a bastardization of "half," as in "half-and-half," which is how I often jokingly refer to myself.


_

3 comments:

Joel said...

hapa is actual Hawaiin for partial or piece. I thought it was bastardization of Korean for Japanese of half, but it turns out it's not.

Kevin Kim said...

Joel,

I think you're right and that I misremembered what Paul had said. I seem to recall him saying something about it being a Hawaiian expression, so yeah, I misremembered.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's not a bastardization- it's a real word. Of course, bastardized words are real words if they become common enough, right? :)

Ginger was surprised that you hadn't heard it, but I reminded her that other parts of the mainland don't have as many Hawaiian/Polynesians as we do here in Seattle. Why/how on earth they wound up HERE, in the Pacific NW where it's gray and rainy so often, I don't know.

Scandanavians? Sure, they make sense settling in Seattle. Hawaiians? I've never understood it.

But I luuuurve me some spam plates for lunch. So it's all good.