Thursday, June 12, 2008

a nice email from Nomon Tim Burnett

Tim Burnett, the priest at the Red Cedar Zen Center in Bellingham, wrote me a very nice email that said in part:

I was interested to see the Anglican priest in Blaine used to practice Zen. I'll give him a buzz. Consider yourself a success at helping make connections, I'm sure that will happen for different people as you go along. A great service of your walk which might happen in your wake.

enjoy and good luck,
Tim

This was gratifying to read, and I hope others will see that connections can be made across religious lines. To be clear, Tim doesn't strike me as the type to cultivate a hermetic Zen community; quite the opposite: he and the members of Red Cedar are very open, welcoming folks. All the same, building more connections is never a bad thing.

Thanks again, Tim, for your and your community's gracious hospitality! I hope you do get in contact with Jay, and that something comes of all this. Heck, if you both could get together with Nan Geer and maybe start something up with the Sikhs, I'd be happy as a clam!

No pressure, though.


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the basilisk's den.

They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Eternal, as the waters cover the sea.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin, I blogged on your "switching" interjection:

Religious Traditions: Kevin Kim on 'Switching'

You might have little time for checking other blogs, but just in case.

I suppose that this link really belongs at that blog entry about Jay Rozendaal, so maybe I'll post it there, too.

Meanwhile, carry on despite the occasional ride in a police car.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *