Thursday, June 12, 2008

Officer Chuck

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T


Interesting story: I was about to walk into Monroe proper (6/11) when a guy in a pickup truck pulled up and offered me a ride. As happened with others who have offered me rides, I had to decline. A few minutes later, right as I was entering town, a police car drove toward me and parked on the roadside. The officer got out, and we had a very friendly conversation about who I was, what I was doing, and so on. I'm not sure how much of this I can reveal on the blog, but anyway... meet Officer Chuck (pictured above).

It turns out that the gent in the pickup was an off-duty policeman who called in the fact that a backpacker was strolling into town, which I suppose is why Officer Chuck checked me out.

Just to be clear: there were no hassles. Chuck was friendly from the get-go and even allowed me to get his picture. I gave him my blog's URL, so I hope he spreads the word about this walk. I'll do my part and spread the word that the local police force treats strangers very well, all while being vigilant.


_

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know what the nature of your encounter with Officer Chuck was; in the photo he looks pretty friendly.

One of the things I learned from Steve Vaught's Fat Man Walking blog is that, at least in some states, you can get permission from the state highway department to walk along roads where pedestrians are ordinarily prohibited. Something we'll need to look into.

Stafford said...

Images of Brian Dennehy and Kevin as John Rambo walking into town....hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Teasle: [Teasle is giving Rambo a lift] So where you heading?
Rambo: Portland.
Teasle: You said you were heading north. Portland is south.
Rambo: You got some place I can eat around here?
Teasle: Theres a diner about thirty miles up the road.
Rambo: Is there a law against me getting something to eat here?
Teasle: Yeah, me.
Rambo: Why you pushing me?
Teasle: [haughty] What'd you say?
Rambo: I said why you pushing me, I didn't do nothing.
Teasle: First of all, you don't ask the questions around here. I do. Second, we don't want guys like you in this town, drifters. Third, you wouldn't like it here anyway. Its a pretty boring town. I get paid to keep it that way.