Sunday, January 11, 2009

taking zee plunge

I'm about to improve my life (we hope) by buying a notebook computer: the well-reviewed ASUS Eee PC 1000HA 10-Inch Netbook. Sometime in February, after I get a significant lump of cash, I plan to purchase one of those devices that allows you to connect to the Net via cell phone. The reason for this is that I'll be working while on the road, now that I have two proofreading/editing jobs.

I've been thinking carefully about which items in my backpack have seen a lot of use, and which can probably be sent home. I have a few heavy items-- including some large carabiners that turned out to be useless-- that will likely find themselves kicked off the trip. These items, once gone, will be replaced by the notebook, which I'm fervently hoping will survive the rigors of this walk. At this point the laptop's not really an option-- it's a requirement: I'm going to need it to navigate, to work, and to communicate. So to protect it, I have to buy something that is sturdy, proof against heat and humidity, and not too bulky.

I also need to swoop into REI and restock my wardrobe: I've now become a disciple of the All-Synthetic School of Thought. Everyone was right: synthetics are lighter, pack more tightly, and are generally more breathable than natural materials. From REI socks on up, I plan to be Synth Man from here on in.

Meantime, I'm itching to get my hands on that Asus.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yew cahn check Sports Authority, tew. I get mhost of my sporhts clothes fhrom there. They're also a lot cheaper than REI. REI is considered primo chirps whereas Sports Authority is general chirps & burps. D,P,L,R,T-A-C!!!