Friday, April 25, 2008

...nope

The National Pension Office and my old hagweon have talked with each other, and the conclusion seems to be that the trouble lies entirely on the side of my old hagweon, which despite having claimed to pay (and despite having given me pay stubs that do indeed show deductions for pension), gave not a cent to the National Pension Office.

So the NPO told me there's nothing more they can do. I offered to let them have the forms I filled out plus all the other paperwork, but according to them, it's up to my previous employer to provide me the money they failed to pay into the pension plan.

I have the sinking feeling that this means that the hagweon will simply reimburse me the pension I paid into the plan. Meanwhile, the National Pension Office will not match the pay; as far as they're concerned, there's nothing more they can do for me (jeo-hui-neun amu-geot-do hal su eopseoyo-- "we can do nothing"). This is because there's some sort of three-year statute of limitations on solving pension difficulties, and we're beyond that now.

This assumes I see my money at all, of course. The guy at the hagweon's accounting office, who spoke shaky English, said the process might finish "in six month," which could mean either "in six months" or "in June" (the word for "June" in Korean is yu-weol, literally, "Month 6"). Neither sounds promising. They're supposed to email me next week with some sort of news.

So not only am I getting a thousand dollars less than expected in pensions from my current job, I'm also likely to receive nothing from my previous job-- a loss of $2200 in total. Not good.

Wanna do me a favor? Buy some Walk-related products. (More designs are on the way!)


_

No comments: