Saturday, May 10, 2008

from 9:00AM to 3:57PM: 21 miles

I broke the 20-mile barrier today while walking unencumbered: 21 miles, if I'm not mistaken. I walked up to the beginning of Old Town Alexandria, stood above Route 95 for a minute, then turned around and trekked on home.

Aspirin has pretty much become part of my diet now. While I'm not in any serious pain, my muscles stiffen up quickly after each long walk, and the result is a sizable ache. I do stretch down, but I think a lot of the problem is a simple lack of conditioning-- something I expect to change as the walk proceeds. Today, breaking the 20-mile barrier seems like something special, but six months from now, I imagine such a walk will be a mere routine.

Watch for an update once I have the exact measurement for today's walk. I'm Google Earth-ing it now.


UPDATE: The distance is 10.68 miles! So I did 21.36 miles in 6 hours and 57 minutes, which means I averaged 3.07mph. Again-- unencumbered. My speed goes down drastically when I start adding weight.


_

4 comments:

Lorianne said...

Are you familiar with this site?
http://walkjogrun.net/

It's an application of Google maps that allows you to calculate the mileage of walking or running routes. I'm not sure if it's easier to use than Google Earth, but I've always found it easy to use & adequate for my purposes.

Kevin Kim said...

L,

I went & had a look, and it's about the same thing as what I'm currently doing. My dad's computer is hooked up to the world's slowest DSL connection, alas, so it's easier just to use Google Earth-- already downloaded to his computer & operating at full speed-- than to wait for screen images to load and reload via the online connection.

All the same, gracias!


Kevin

Anonymous said...

yew whalk the whalk, tahlk the tahlk hatte

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the details! Have you noticed any unique sensory imputes between walking in America versus walking in Korea?