Tuesday, May 20, 2008

not exactly a proud milestone, but...

I weighed myself this morning after the morning constitutional and discovered I was 289.4 pounds.

Sounds like a lot, right? It is. It means I'm enormous and have a long, long way to go before I'm more normally proportioned. But put this weight in perspective: when I came back from Korea, I was 297.3 pounds.

The first ten pounds of weight loss can generally be discounted as "water weight," i.e., the weight you lose from sweat, a decreasing ability to retain water as the body tightens up, etc. But an immodest part of me fancies that this weight loss-- not even eight pounds-- represents hard-won (or hard-lost, I suppose) poundage because it's taken over three weeks to reach this point.

I could be wrong, of course; this could simply be water weight. In fact, as my brother David jokingly pointed out, I could actually end up gaining weight during the walk. As other transcontinental walkers have noted, when you're walking from home to home or community to community, food is rarely a problem.

So for the moment, I seem to have pulled myself back from the cliff's edge of 300 pounds and have crossed from the 290s to the 280s. Here's hoping this continues into the 270s, the 260s, the 250s...

[NB: I'm fully aware that weight is neither the sole nor the most important metric by which to judge something like fitness. The best advice I've heard is to judge by two things: (1) the fit of your clothes, and (2) your resting (seated) heart rate. We might add blood pressure to that list. I have a friend from Nebraska who, as an accomplished runner back in high school, had a resting heart rate somewhere in the 50-beats-per-minute range. That's incredible to me.]


_

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, man. I think it's OK to feel good about this one. A positive attitude works wonders.

Anonymous said...

And totally unrelated to the matter at hand, but I thought you might enjoy this (that's what she said!):

No, really...

Anonymous said...

289.4 pounds equals 20.6714 stones, hatte!

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin, when I was 17, my heart's resting rate was about 30. I guess that I've aged, for I just took my pulse and counted 66 (after a bit of activity).

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Kevin Kim said...

Jeff,

Were you preparing to hibernate?

Charles,

Thanks for the encouragement and the hilarious link.

David,

I need to get UNDER 20 stone. 14 or 15 stone would be nice.


Kevin

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Yes, I was. I just didn't know it. I woke up again when I was 18, so I hibernated only about a year . . . until my first university exams.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin, I was looking again at this entry and suddenly realized how much weight you're losing. Good heavens, but you'll soon be down to skin and bones!

Fortunately, you have a very thick skin.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *