Wednesday, May 21, 2008

wish me luck

I'm trying out my new boots in the morning. 21.36 miles. My final big hike will be the ultimate shakedown cruise: on Friday I'll try the 21.36-mile hike with boots and full gear, then end it by recording a conversation on religion with my parents, then camping out in our back yard that night. This is deliberate: setting up a tent in the dark isn't a bad skill to have, though I hope never to have to do this.

Friday will also offer me a chance to test out the new "Spot" device my brother David has bought for me (well, I bought it, but he said he'd pay for it). The Spot allows you to "ping" an "I'm OK" signal that plots your location on a website via GPS (Google Maps compatible) and sends an automated text message to loved ones saying "I'm OK." I didn't want this device, but I made the mistake of telling my folks about it, and Mom insisted I buy it.

The Friday-Saturday hike will be my final one in Virginia for the next year or two, as I fly out to Vancouver on Monday and will need prep time to finalize a ton of unfinished business (including the improvement of this blog, which still lacks basics such as FAQ and "how can I help?" links).

It's my understanding that I'm to be interviewed by a local Korean newspaper this coming Thursday (this isn't definite). We have yet to settle on an interview language; I'm voting for English, as my Korean isn't good enough to do the interview totally in Korean. Perhaps Konglish...?


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know someone 21 miles away in Bellingham down I-5. Originally he is from Croatia and he works for Customs at the Blaine crossing. He loves meeting and talking to interesting people about anything and everything. He may be in South Africa (or maybe D.C.) on assignment right now, but I'll give him a call later today to find out for sure. He is definitely an interesting person.

John from Daejeon

Anonymous said...

Comin' by the house tewnite hatte