Wednesday, June 25, 2008

shout-out to Brother Luke

Brother Luke took some time out of his busy schedule-- an hour and fifteen minutes, in fact-- to talk with me about issues in interreligious dialogue (lay and monastic), Catholic doctrine, who Saint Martin was, and other issues. I'm very thankful to have had that time with him, but I now face the daunting task of transcribing that exchange as well! It's over twice as long as the Kevin/Genjo dialogue, which I've only barely begun to transcribe.

Good luck with Korean homework, Brother Luke, and continued good luck with your other studies and pursuits! Thanks for mentioning all those websites for me to check out.


_

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered outsourcing your transcription, say through something like Elance?

Kevin Kim said...

I'm still having trouble with file upload to the FTP space, so I can't consider outsourcing quite yet. Sounds like it might be a plan, though... but that means more money out the window. Oy.


Kevin

Malcolm Pollack said...

Or, Kevin, you can just hold on until the Walk is done, giving us summaries and synopses for now, and write a book at leisure when you get back home.

The important part in this phase, I should think, is to accumulate the material, along with relevant contemporaneous impressions. You can sort it all out later.

Anonymous said...

To second what Kangmi and Malcolm have said:

It seems to me that perhaps the Writing aspect of this trip (the journalism/field study/spiritual diary) and the WALK aspect of it are somewhat in tension. Here's why I say this. If you read, say Steve Vaught's account of his cross-country walk at Fat Man Walking, it becomes clear that the mind of the transcontinental walker becomes obsessed with a single purpose: to get down the road to the next stop! All else falls by the wayside. (This applies not only to mental baggage, but to physical accoutrements as well: tape recorder, digicam, etc. As you're discovering, every ounce counts.)

On the other hand, I make my living via services like Elance, so don't let me discourage you from sending them business!