Thursday, July 17, 2008

the shower curtain question

In a bathroom with poor ventilation and air circulation, what's the best thing to do with the shower curtain after you shower? Should you draw the curtain closed, thereby minimizing wrinkles and allowing more of the curtain's surface area to dry, but trapping the steamy air inside the bathtub for longer? Should you pull the curtain as open as possible, thereby risking mold and mildew inside the curtain's humid nooks and crannies, but allowing most of the steamy air to escape from the bathtub and dissipate in the bathroom as a whole? Or is a compromise solution, such as drawing the curtain only halfway closed, the best way to go?


_

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would roll the dry curtain over the rod prior to turning on the water, then squat in the tub and use a mixing bowl to pour water over my head as I bathe, thus saving the curtain of any potential mold trauma. If this can't be done then leave in place wet, close the door, and leave on the cieling fan which will cause certain death to any mold spores.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that that shower curtain doesn't extend all the way from ceiling to floor (or tub), right? That is, is there an open space above the shower curtain? We always close the curtain and then leave the ceiling fan on to make sure the curtain dries out--the gap between the curtain and the ceiling allows the steamy air to escape.

I suppose if you want to compromise, you could leave the curtain and the bathroom door open for about ten minutes after a shower. That should be long enough to make sure all steam is gone (when the mirror clears, you're good to go). Then close the curtain.

(I'm waiting for news from my host on the upload dealio--I'll let you know when I get things nailed down.)

hardyandtiny said...

I leave it bunched up open. I take my curtain liner outside about ever six weeks, bleach it, rinse it and hang it out.

I almost never close my bathroom door.