Sunday, July 13, 2008

all reserved

I've just become a proud member of the Super 8 Motels chain (and will probably become a member of quite a few other chains as well) in the hopes of saving several hundred dollars over the course of the next 12-18 months. I've reserved three nights at the Super 8 by the Columbia River, which will mean walking uphill back north. Now that I'm getting a bit better at navigating the public transportation system, it shouldn't be a problem for me to continue to access Lewis and Clark College, which is south of Portland in Clackamas County, despite the added distance.

Alas, buses are pretty expensive here in Portland: it's $2.05 for an "all zones" ticket (for a single one-way ride!), and $1.75 for an adult going one or two zones. Then again, I don't know how this compares with current transportation prices in the DC-Metro area, so perhaps I shouldn't judge; my memory is stuck in the early 2000s. Digression: I'm also curious as to how much the bus and subway fares have gone up in Seoul, which has always enjoyed rates significantly cheaper than those in most American cities (this goes for taxis, too).

So there we are. Sunday will be my final full day at the Peace House, then I'll leave late Monday morning or early in the afternoon; my new BlackBerry, which is being FedExed to the Peace House, is slated to arrive around 1PM (there was some sort of mixup, which is why it didn't arrive yesterday or today), so I might hang around downtown, get the SIMM data issue resolved, get the old phone packed up for mailing back to the warranty folks, and then schlep over to the Super 8. We'll see. Tomorrow, I'll get to see what a full Sunday service at the Peace House looks like (it'll be in the afternoon; check the website for the worship schedule); I'll also be doing laundry, testing some of my new stuff (I bought a hat and some dry food from REI today; won't be testing the food), and prepping to leave. It's been almost a week since I came here... I'm humbled by everyone's generosity, and as was the case all through Washington, I'm more than a little sad to be leaving. I've apologized several times for imposing, but Pastor John said with a smile that I've been "very unimpositional."

I do know I need to do something for these folks-- give them a gift or make a meal or I-don't-know-what. Will be working on that issue, too, while I'm at the Super 8.


_

1 comment:

Max said...

These days in Seoul the Subway starts at 900 won. To take the #2 to the other side of the loop is 1200 won total. Buses start at 800 won and tack on any distance surcharges when you swipe your card on exit.

Anyway, your Portland buses are cheap. In Marin Country (just north of San Francisco) the bus cash fare starts at $3.75--and that bus service is heavily subsidized by Golden Gate Bridge tolls.