Wednesday, July 16, 2008

time to git a move on

My dad never seems to call at a good time, though it's not his fault (I do wish he'd text or email me more). Today, he called around 9:45AM, Pacific time, just as I was starting to swim upward from the depths of slumber. While I'm usually able to wake up early for morning functions (e.g., teaching my first classes at 7:40AM in Seoul), I generally revert to my nocturnal ways when no such outside pressures exist. I'm not a morning person by nature, and my body sees my time in this motel as vacation time, even though I actually have a lot to do.

Medical note: the bruised ribs seem to have healed. Now, I'm dealing with some sort of rash or swelling-- allergy? bite?-- directly under my right eye. There's always something.

Family note: my brother David had fun during the mountain bike race last week. He didn't win, but he didn't finish last, either. My parents are in Texas, spending two weeks with my aunt (Mom's big sis) and her family in their spacious new home. Especially for Mom, retirement's going to mean a lot of travel over the next few months. I hope she enjoys this new phase of life; she and Dad both had stressful jobs, and deserve some rest before they begin to focus on some large, house-related projects.


_

6 comments:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

"Now, I'm dealing with some sort of rash or swelling -- allergy? bite? -- directly under my right eye."

Kevin, Kevin. Only a few days off your walk, and you're already getting that belly again!

Just look down, and you'll see what that swelling is...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Anonymous said...

Cell phones and spiritual pilgrimages are natural enemies.

Kevin Kim said...

OSweet,

Then it's a good thing I'm not on a spiritual pilgrimage.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Touche!

Anonymous said...

And, btw, that doesn't make me any less impressed.

Kevin Kim said...

OSweet,

I'm a natural enemy of cell phones in general, but because I take Zen nondualism seriously, I wouldn't polarize spiritual pilgrimages and tech. They're enemies only if we make them so. After all, very few pilgrims go about their pilgrimages un-tech'ed. Only those naked Hindu pilgrims who roll across the dusty ground for hundreds of miles can truly say they do what they do without the benefit of anything other than their own bodies. Otherwise, if a pilgrim's wearing clothes, then she's already made a concession to technology: even primitive clothing is made via some sort of tech, however crude it be.

(Of course, I'm giving an over-serious response to what was probably a simple joke on your part, but such is my pedantic nature.)

Me and cell phones, though... oh, how I despise cell phones. I suppose I like the BlackBerry mainly because it allows me to surf online, but its more explicitly "cellphonic" properties have zero appeal for me. I hate what cell phones do to people-- to their attentiveness and, by extension, to their dignity.


Kevin