Saturday, November 8, 2008

uh-oh... bidding has begun, but...

I've got bids on brush art items 35 and 36 over at Kevin's Wares, but I've got a few problems. One problem, which I should have anticipated, is that when a new comment comes in, I see it on my Blogger "dashboard," but don't know which post it applies to. For the comment to be visibly associated with that post, it has to be published-- but that's what I was trying to avoid doing.

This leads to the next problem. I published the two bids I got, then immediately hid the comments to protect privacy. Having done that, however, I've now prevented anyone else from using the comment feature to leave higher bids. That's good for the first bidder, I suppose, but bad all around for the auction.

Possible solutions? Emailed bids? Open comments?


_

5 comments:

melancholy donut said...

im not sure why you decided to take this on (why not use ebay or any number of free auction sites if youre worried about fees) but how about going to email bids if the commenting isnt working as planned?

kwandongbrian said...

Near the top of the page- upper left side, but nearly centre - should be an option to show comments by post name. You have to choose the option every time you look at comments, which is annoying, it it should solve your problem.

Kevin Kim said...

donut,

Ebay ended up looking like a nightmare to set up (nightmare partly fueled by commenter warnings about its pitfalls), and I don't think the setup would work, what with my bank account going through arbitration now.

As things are, my PayPal account can still receive money, and it's linked to my bank account, which makes PayPal the best option, at least for the moment. Once I finish the arbitration and go through PayPal's resolution procedure, I'll have access to whatever money I've earned through PayPal.

Brian,

Much obliged for the info, but the top of which page? I looked around on the blog's main page, on the comments page, and inside Blogger's "settings/comments" section. Maybe I need to look again.

Thanks, you two.


Kevin

Unknown said...

Go email if it's a hassle.

And, uh, I'd like to bid on an item... so should I email you with the bid?

kwandongbrian said...

screen shots in an email. I hope they help.