Sunday, December 21, 2008

humbling

My Dad and I looked at the path that stretches along Route 12 from Walla Walla to Missoula, Montana. Using the Google Earth ruler tool, I estimated the length of that stretch to be about 330 miles, and that's 330 miles of almost nothing. It would be a tough walk. Without Les Stroud-level survival skills, I'd almost certainly need a chase car.

I've promised to let people in on my thinking process regarding the Big Picture, but there's still a lot I haven't nailed down. One thing I do know, though, is that I'd like to finish the walk by my 40th birthday, which is August 31, 2009. If I can manage that, I'll have done the walk in nine months, just like George Martin, the ex-footballer on my sidebar (A Journey for 9/11-- scroll down to the "Inspirations" section). Setting this goal as a fundamental parameter may allow other priorities to fall into place, and will make the walk's mission more focused than it's been.

More thoughts later.


_

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a suggestion:

"Kevin's Luge"

Time will be less of a problem.

Anonymous said...

Check it out east of Missoula too--there's a lot of nothing in that direction also.

Of course, there's a lot of nothing whichever way you go from there. Maybe the best way to decide which nothing you want to cross is to figure out where you'd like to emerge on the other side, and go for that.