Saturday, January 24, 2009

a clear yard is a happy yard

With Dad's help, I bundled up the nine tarps that had been flapping wildly around the back yard like big blue drunken wraiths. I also collected the last of the large pieces of wood and the remaining brick fragments that had been strewn all over the yard. For all intents and purposes, the back yard is back to normal. Next up are two unenviable tasks: (1) making multiple trips to the garbage dump next week to throw out all the wood and other garbage, and (2) crawling under the deck to pluck out all the fallen screws, nails, shims, and cigarette butts that had accumulated during deck construction. I'd love to crawl around with some sort of powerful magnet, but I don't know whether such a device exists for under-the-deck cleaning. (Even if the under-the-deck cleaning magnet did exist, it probably wouldn't help with the cigarette butts.)

The deck itself still needs its handrails put in; that's Dad's job. We also need to clean off the deck's surface, which is covered with synthetic sawdust from the renovation crew's final paroxysm of drilling into the deck's synthetic planks. Inside the house, there remains plenty to occupy us for weeks... or even months. Me, I'm going to be searching for the stash of DVDs! Meanwhile, the parents have to think about calling the county for that final inspection, after which we can take those permits down from our living room's bay window.

On a personal note: my optical drive is on its way, and I need to figure out how to tap into Dad's FIOS connection wirelessly, so that I can move my laptop downstairs and finally stop hogging poor Dad's computer. I also have to buy a small but durable laptop case, something that will both protect the computer from the elements and fit inside my backpack. Which reminds me: I need to look into some sort of rig that will allow me to tow the backpack behind me when my knees start to feel the strain of walking. I might be able to get by without such a rig, but given how achy my knees still get after 11-mile walks, it might be a good investment.

None of the above worries me tonight, however. Tomorrow, God willing. Tomorrow.


_

No comments: