Saturday, August 8, 2009

on to budae

The back yard has been conquered. The weeds actually look good now, and will behave for about a week before they again look unruly.

I'll be making Mom a massive batch of budae-jjigae, a US/Korean fusion stew that combines nasty American ingredients like hot dogs, hamburger, and spam with good Korean stew ingredients like onions, mushrooms, kimchi, leafy greens, and so on. The end result tastes surprisingly good: the American meat products tend to have a gentling effect on the otherwise-spicy Korean broth. The stew itself is fairly simple to cook, but it takes a while to assemble and prep the ingredients: a lot of chopping and slicing needs to be done. It's after 4PM now, so if I want Mom to be eating sometime before 6:30PM, I need to get cracking. Poor Dad can't eat spicy food, so I'll need to make something else for him. Dad's usually fine with simple fare, such as a ham sandwich. So, who knows? Maybe that's what he'll be having for dinner.


_

3 comments:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I thought that I should let you know that I've been visiting, Kevin.

The thought occurs to me that we're all of us in the same condition as your mother. We usually just don't realize this yet.

I realize that this isn't consolation, but it's what occurs to me.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Kevin Kim said...

Indeed we are, Jeff-- all of us inescapably mortal. Life and death are wrapped up in each other. Thanks for stopping by. Thanks, too, for the posts you write about your family. Your own love comes through loud and clear.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

118 degrees on my ride last weekend, it felt like a bake oven on the bike,, it sucked. love ya, Chuck