Tuesday, October 7, 2008

03:14:03

I did the ten miles in three hours, fourteen minutes, and three seconds, which makes for an average speed of about 3.09mph. Not too bad for a gimp, and close to the 3.2mph I'd been averaging during the training phase before I started the actual walk. My knees were both fine, but my right ankle's a bit achy and so are my hip joints-- a reflection of the fact that I hadn't walked more than a few miles per day during the previous 36 days. While in Walla Walla, I was lucky to walk 2-4 miles per day, which is nothing.

The previous series of pictures was taken to show the new branch of the bike path at the beginning of the George Washington Parkway. I took the shots while on my way back home. I have mixed feelings about this new path; on the one hand, it allows pedestrians and bikers to avoid one of the parking lots on their way to the trailhead. On the other hand, the new path sits right next to the parkway, putting walkers and bikers uncomfortably close to "thru" traffic, exposing them to more noise than is really necessary. I hope the old access to the trailhead will remain open to walkers and bikers; walking through the parking lot was never really a chore, nor was it ever particularly dangerous. And in the morning, the lot is usually empty, making for a nice, tranquil stroll before reaching the actual beginning of the bike path (Mile 0).

I'm sure I'll get used to the bike path's new look, but for today, I'm like the wary old dog that sniffs suspiciously at a new and unwelcome change in the scenery.


_

No comments: