Wednesday, September 10, 2008

wirelessly waiting for Godot

So here I am in Whitman College's Penrose Library, blogging away using WiFi! Unfortunately, I had to log in as a guest, and that means my access is limited to thirty minutes.

So far, the laptop has proved to be functional, though it does have some kinks that need to be worked out. One problem is that I can't adjust my screen resolution, so everything from icons to text appears huge on my screen, necessitating a lot of annoying scroll bar usage. Does anyone know why no other screen resolutions are available to me? Inquiring minds want to know.

So everything works except for Photoshop Elements, which is simply too much for his six-year-old system. I might not have time today, but perhaps tomorrow, after I've had my meeting with Pastor Bigger at Walla Walla U, I'll go and return Photoshop for a refund, and ask the folks to send their older copy of Elements to me. That, or I can try to find a cheap copy of, say, Elements 2 (the version I've used for years) on Amazon.

I'm going to load a bunch of audio, video, and photo files onto the laptop. Once I've got a proper Photoshop, I'll be able to blog more naturally. The laptop is something of a long-term investment: I'm guaranteed a chase car all the way into Boise, then I'll be wintering in Boise. That takes me from now until sometime next March-- at least six months. Plenty of time to earn money, and maybe to buy a better, faster, smaller laptop. This clunker is heavy. But at least it's working.

Gotta run. I don't know how much longer I have on here before the library system kicks me off.


_

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kevin,
Have been following your blog since I taught English in Korea. In regards to your photoshop issue you could try http://www.getpaint.net/ or http://www.gimp.org/windows/

For your screen you may just need to update the drivers for. They can most likely be found at the manufacturers website.

Best of luck in your travels. If you happen to end up at all close to Wisconsin, let me know.

Jesse

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, Jesse. I'll try those sites.


Kevin