Friday, September 12, 2008

housekeeping notes

I have a few more cosmetic changes to take care of before I gird my loins and begin the formidable task of transcription. Two projects involve additions to the sidebar: (1) blogs I used to read in Korea, and (2) blogs of folks I've met along the way during this Walk. After I make those additions, I'll move on to transcription. Remember: 30 minutes of dialogue is roughly 7 hours of work! I had this formula pegged after spending a semester in Seoul transcribing sitcom episodes for a Content-based Instruction class.

What lies ahead:

1. Conversation with Brother Luke at St. Martin's University, Lacey, Washington: 1 hr, 15 min.

2. Conversation with the group at Metanoia Peace House, Portland, Oregon: 1 hr, 34 min.

3. Conversation with Bernice Harbaugh, who runs the Cascade Motel at Cascade Locks, Oregon: 31 minutes.

4. Conversation with Sue Ryan, who at the time wrote for the Hood River News (I think she'd said she was moving on) and wrote an article about me. Elements of this conversation went into her article. 56 minutes.

5. Conversation with polymathic author Jay Ellis Ransom in The Dalles, Oregon: 1 hr, 26 min. (It was actually a lot longer than that, and it ranged all over, so I might strip this down to whatever material is relevant to religion.)

6. Conversation with Pastor Bigger at Walla Walla University: 29 minutes.

As you can see, that's a lot of work ahead of me-- roughly 6.25 hours' worth of material. That means, if we multiply by seven, that I've got about 43.75 hours of transcription ahead of me. If I put in 8-hour days, I can be done in about 5.5 days; we'll round that up to six. Whew. As always, keep your fingers and tentacles crossed.


_

No comments: