Thursday, September 11, 2008

l'arrivée du pape... mais personne ne le connaît

I surfed over to L'Express just a few minutes ago and found this cute "interview on the street" clip in which average Janes and Joes were asked about Pope Benedict XVI, who was scheduled to arrive in France the following day.

Paragraph above the video clip:

A la veille de l’arrivée du pape Benoît XVI en France, LEXPRESS.fr est allé à la rencontre des parisiens pour tester leurs connaissances et savoir ce qu’ils pensent du leader spirituel… Petit rappel : Joseph Alois Ratzinger est né le 16 avril 1927 en Allemagne. Il est le 265e pape élu de l’Eglise catholique romaine. Le 19 avril 2005, il a choisi le nom de Benoît XVI pour succéder à Jean-Paul II.

On the eve of the arrival of Pope Benedict XVI in France, L'Express sought out Parisians to test their knowledge and discover what they think of the spiritual leader. Quick reminder: Joseph Alois Ratzinger was born on April 16, 1927 in Germany. He is the 265th pope elected by the Roman Catholic Church. On April 19, 2005, he chose the name of Benedict XVI to succeed John Paul II.

Video transcript:

Caption: September 11, 2008, Paris; arrival of Pope Benedict XVI: one day before arrival.


Question Card: Do you know who is arriving tomorrow?

Woman 1: Yes! The Dalai Lama!

Woman 2: Uh, I think it's the Pope.

Man 1: No Pope today-- tomorrow!

Sullen Teen Dude: Yeah, I read he wanted to come, and that's why he was already there.

[Kevin's note: The Sullen Teen's utterance sounded like nonsense to me. What I think I heard was: "Ouais, j'ai lu ça, qu'il voulait venir, et c'est pour ça qu'il était déjà là." I could have misheard that. Anyone got a better ear?]


Question Card: What's his name?

Two Old Guys: [silence]

Woman 1: Benedict?

Woman 3: Yes, uh, Pope Benedict XVI.

Woman 4: It ends in "-ger," but I don't really care.

Sullen Teen Dude: Uh, Ratzinger?


Question Card: Do you know his nationality?

Woman 5: Uh, Austrian?

Happy Teen Guy: I don't remember... Eastern Europe, right?

Man 2: Uh, I know that he's Polish.

Woman 2: Uh, I think German.

Woman 4: Uh, German.

Sullen Teen Dude: German.


Question Card: One adjective to describe the Pope...

Sullen Teen Dude: With one adjective? Rigorous.

Woman 4: Austere.

Woman 1: Dignified, severe.

Woman 5: He's ugly!

Happy Teen Guy: He's old.

Man 3: No, I don't have one. I'm not in a position to say.

Man 1: He's a holy man.


Question Card: Is the Pope charismatic?

Woman 1: No, not so much.

Sullen Teen Dude: Not at all.

Woman 5: No, not really, but, uh...

Man 1: Yeah, I think so. To be the pope, you have to be, I think.

Woman 2: Of course! Because he was called, he got the call, so he has his charisma, yes.

Man 3: I can tell you that... in his own way. But it's not like with John Paul II.


Question Card: What does the Pope represent for you?

Happy Teen Guy: Dunno, religion, uh, uh...

Woman 2: The Pope represents many things that are moral, ethical...

Woman 4: For me, nothing at all.

Sullen Teen Dude: Many bad things.

Man 3: For me, he represents a lot because I'm Catholic. Because he's my leader, like in all religions-- I don't know which religion you are-- in all religions there's a leader, so my leader, for me, is...

[END]


_

5 comments:

Charles said...

Is it just me, or did Sullen Teen Dude know the most about the Pope?

Also, Man 3 was really annoying. A lot of words yet saying nothing.

Kevin Kim said...

Yeah, I think Sullen Teen Dude nailed it. I was chuckling at his demeanor and the dark tone of his responses ("beaucoup de mauvaises choses"-- "many bad things").

As for Man 3, I kinda liked his responses, even if they were a little goofy at times.


Kevin

Gitte said...

I think the Sullen Teen Dude says (second part) J'ai lu ça, qu'il voulait venir, mais je pensais qu'il était déjà là.

Meaning, Yeah I read he wanted to come, but I thought he was already here. (In that he thought he had arrived already, a couple of days back or so)...

Kevin Kim said...

Gitte,

Yeah, I went back and listened to it, and that's possible. It still sounds more like "c'est pour ça" to me. Bad ear, I guess. I'm getting old.


Kevin

Kevin Kim said...

UPDATE: February 5, 2009:

Gitte is correct! I listened to the interview on my laptop where, strangely enough, the sound was a lot clearer. Sure enough: "...je pensais qu'il était déjà là" is indeed what the sullen teen said.