Wednesday, September 17, 2008

med-free

I'm trying to get through today without any ibuprofen or Naprosyn. So far, so good; I made the 0.8 mile walk to Albertson's this morning and got my ice bag (the smaller size). Weaning myself from the trekking pole, however, is going to be more difficult. While I don't lean heavily on the pole and don't swing it in perfect tandem with my right leg (watch Hugh Laurie's excellent portrayal of Dr. House to see what I mean), I do use it to relieve some of the pressure on the knee, and admit I've become psychologically dependent on it. Sometime during the next week or so, I'm going to have to leave the "cane" at home at walk into the world without it.

Just not today. Not today.


_

1 comment:

Britt Elizabeth Verstegen said...

Take care, young Luke: Listen to your knee. :-) One of my recently-deceased friends was a loving and kind chiropractor eager to treat the spirit as well as the body. He always said to the injured, "Injury is your body's way of telling you to slow down and concentrate on your inner life." In my experience, that appears to be true. I am sure you are anxious to get going, but perhaps you need more time to heal? And while you're at it, maybe God is calling you to spend more time there? How wonderful it is to be floating in the sea of service, responding only to the needs of people you meet and the Will of Almighty God, eh? Joseph Campbell used to say, "We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." I wonder if there is someone there you need to assist, or from whom you need to receive further insight? There is a reason you are injured. Nifty little puzzle....