Tuesday, September 16, 2008

the scare

One of my responsibilities in my host's house is to make sure the two backyard gates are shut so that Pava the Dawg-- whom Mechelle fondly addresses as "Turkey Butt"-- doesn't get out. Imagine my surprise when I stepped out the back door this morning and saw one gate swung wide open, the backyard shed door wide open, and Pava nowhere in sight.

Nothing else seemed to have been disturbed, and when I looked inside the shed, everything appeared fine (though I have no way of really knowing that, not having looked in the shed before). I called out, just once, to Pava, and she came instantly trotting back from somewhere hidden, much to my relief. I closed and locked the gate and stepped aside as Pava swished her turkey butt into the house.

Crisis averted.

But I wonder what happened, and why those doors were open.


_

1 comment:

Britt Elizabeth Verstegen said...

Unbeknownst to you and her owner, Turkey Butt has retractable opposable thumbs and often uses them to open the latch. She enjoys going out to the local bookstore, sitting at the coffee bar and reading the Utne Reader, Harper's Magazine, and Playdog. A certain male Shiatsu with big brown eyes recently caught her attention thus she's been escaping more than usual to stand amongst the stacks.

OhmyGod, I need to get back to work, hahaha.