Thursday, December 17, 2009


Mom is to be admitted to Fairfax Hospital's Neuroscience wing, third floor-- a place we know well thanks to Mom's tenure there from late spring to midsummer. Still no firm time given for the upcoming MRI, but according to my brother Sean, one doc came to see Dad and was taking about "tumor growth." "Unsurprising," I replied. I've suspected for weeks that the carboplatin has been doing nothing for Mom. Tumor growth is actually less of a worry for me than the question of Mom's new and disconcerting bump: what is it? What's inside it? How did it get there? What can be done about it? And while we're at it, the pink patches on Mom's scalp-- what are they, and what can be done about them?

No one has called me from New York yet re: rescheduling Mom's operation. I checked our calendar for next week and found it to be free through Christmas Day; Dad now knows this, and he intends to call NYP/WC back so as to hash out the rescheduling himself (no need for a middle man now that Dad knows the what the calendar hold for next week).

Sometime soon, Dad will call me to ask me to drive back up to the hospital. Unless my brother Sean buys himself and the parents food, I'll be bringing food from home. In the meantime, I haven't heard what time, exactly, Mom will be transferred from the ER to the Neuroscience wing.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, ask David to call the airlines and explain the situation. Even with non-refundable tickets, they can do a credit for another flight with medical emergencies which this is. It's worth a try rather than assuming all is lost. Probably sooner is better than later so they could possibly sell the seat.

Mary W.