Monday, December 14, 2009

I gladly eat my words

Mom ended up staying at the Korean Christmas party from 5:30PM-- which is when we arrived-- to almost 10:30PM, an incredible five hours. She's been out of the house for that length of time before (such as when she's had her combined Avastin-and-carboplatin infusions), but this time was different: the party was all about noise and lively interaction, not sitting in a quiet office with an IV drip.

Both Dad and my aunt reported that Mom thoroughly enjoyed herself, and that many of the ajummas beat a path to her. The emcee even took time to highlight Mom's presence so that people could applaud her.

In the end, from what I heard, Dad was right: this was just the sort of medicine Mom needed. She had fun being out with friends and family, enjoying good food, camaraderie, and love. When I saw her after the party, I could tell that Mom seemed tired but buoyant. Most telling of all: my aunt noted that Mom ate her salad all by herself, without any help from my father or anyone else. Dad fed Mom the main course, but Mom's ability to eat her own salad was a moral victory: it came after a depressing week during which Mom seemed to be losing the will to feed herself. I hope the party was a reminder to her that she has a lot to live for, and friends who care deeply about her. All the more reason to get this next treatment over and done with.

Dad says he took a lot of pictures. Some of those shots may find their way from his camera to this blog.


_

3 comments:

Jelly said...

It makes me so happy to hear your mom enjoyed herself. I hope the mood carries through to Christmas, and you and your family cherish your time together during the holiday. I'm sending my positive energy across the sea to you all, with the hope that your mother's surgery goes well.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I'm also hoping in Christmas for all of you, Kevin.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Maven said...

What an uplifting post. I hope there are pictures to go with this. I bet your mom was all decked out and smiling.